Telecommunications Overcharge Attorneys
According to many researchers, overcharging by telecommunications companies is a common and growing problem. One report even estimates that around 80 percent of telecommunications bills contain incorrect charges. A number of high profile class action lawsuits against telecommunications companies have recently been in the news, which has resulted in several multi-million dollar settlements. The Law Firm of Arias Ozzello & Gignac specializes in legal issues in the telecommunications industry. If you believe that your telecommunications provider has wrongly overcharged you, you may be eligible to be included in a class action to recover damages.
Types of Telecommunications Overcharges
There are several ways in which telecommunications customers have been overcharged by their providers, whether by mistake or intentionally. Some examples include the following:
- overcharging of long distance customers who were promised a lower rate but billed at a higher rate
- improper assessment of fees and other recurring charges
- improper assessment of charges for applications not used, such as web browsing
- slamming (switching phone service without permission)
- cramming (adding unauthorized charges to a customer’s bill)
Examples of Lawsuits Against Telecommunications Companies for Overcharging
There has been a recent increase in litigation over unauthorized charges made by telecommunications companies. Some examples include:
- A certified class action of cellular customers for damages after the provider failed to disclose “out-of-cycle” billing. Lozano v. AT&T Wireless Services, Inc.
- A certified class action for damages after the provider imposed undisclosed service fees. Stern v. AT&T Mobility Corporation
- A certified class action for damages after the provider failed to prorate monthly service fees charged just prior to termination. Rolnik v. AT&T Wireless Services, Inc.
- A certified class action for damages against Verizon after it overcharged customers for applications they did not use, including charges for free demo versions and accidental internet access.
- A certified class action for damages against Verizon for charging improper fees to customers trying to terminate their contracts.
Telecommunications providers can also be charged with deceptive business practices under various consumer protection laws. Bait and switch marketing and charging for services never provided or used are examples of the many unfair and deceptive practices providers have used to defraud customers. At the Law Offices of Arias Ozzello & Gignac, our experienced telecommunications and consumer protection attorneys are well versed in federal and state laws that are designed to protect consumers from overcharging and deceptive practices by telecommunication providers.
If a telecommunications provider has overcharged you, it has most likely overcharged millions of other customers. A class action suit is the best legal device for bringing such a claim, since it provides a single resolution for a large number of plaintiffs. A class action is filed by one or more individuals who act as representatives for a larger group of people that have been affected by a common violation. Once certified by the court, a class member does not have to join and is automatically a member unless he or she decides to opt out of the class. The court closely supervises a class action and no resolution is final without approval. By having a class of customers with a similar complaint, the evidence for a favorable resolution can be more substantial and the money damages are often higher. In addition, the court allows the representatives extra compensation for filing a class action, which can amount to a significant sum.
As the increase in lawsuits has shown, telecommunications providers have been systematically overcharging customers. If you believe that you have been wrongly overcharged for services, you and other similarly situated customers may have a legal claim for damages. In fact there may be a class action already in progress against your provider for the same violation. Contact the Law Offices of Arias Ozzello & Gignac today for a free evaluation of your claim.